Thursday, March 12, 2009

Sons and Daughters

“But this is what was spoken through the prophet Joel: And it shall come to pass in the last days, God declares, that I will pour out My Spirit upon all mankind, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men will dream dreams.” Acts 2:16-17

My name is Tanner Gann, I am a 14 year old minister from Hamilton, Alabama. I am a prisoner of Jesus Christ. In May of last year I found myself running from God. I was a two-faced Christian who was mad at God, because I wasn’t hearing from Him and I was so dry spiritually. So one day while watching TV, God finally spoke to me and told me to open up my Bible. I opened it up to Ephesians chapter three verse one. Paul said that he was a prisoner of Jesus Christ. God stopped me there and said, “What are you a prisoner of?” I finally realized at that point I was not completely sold out to God. During that encounter, I surrendered fully to the Lord and I’ve dedicated myself to do whatever it takes to win over my peers and school for God.

After the summer was over, God lit a fire in me that no one could put out. I was so on fire for God and I had to tell everyone. However, I knew I couldn’t win my school alone. I needed supernatural power from God. You see, the apathy at my school was so gross it seemed like a hopeless situation. A lot of the people at my school were two-faced Christians just like I had been. Yet, I knew my testimony could touch many and God had promised me that my school would be won over. I asked God to put me in a position to let me reach a lot of people at one time. So two weeks into the school year, I was asked to be the Student Director of FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) at my school. God truly answered my prayer because half the school is in FCA. The first month and a half of the school year things were slow, as I kept praying for a breakthrough but nothing happened. God told me to give it time and be patient. As I faithfully walked into the first junior high football game, God opened an amazing door. I was asked to give a devotion before the game. In the devotion, I gave my testimony and invited everyone to become completely sold out to Jesus. Eighteen people accepted Christ that day! That was just the beginning of what God wanted to do and He told me there would be more breakthroughs.

After football season was over I was asked to give another devotion, but this time to the high school football team. God put it on my heart to share my testimony again, as I challenged everyone to live a surrendered life. This time twenty-seven students from the team gave their lives to the Lord. Ever since that moment the locker room has changed. Now we have devotions daily. God is all over the team and half the school is on fire for God. I thought God was done, but I was completely wrong. In February, I was asked to do another devotion for the 7th and 8th grade athletes, girls and boys. I preached on being different for Jesus and I gave my testimony. The Holy Ghost showed up, bringing conviction over everyone in the room. Every single person in there realized they were not prisoners of Christ. They all pledged to humble themselves, as they poured their hearts out to God, selling out completely. Now the middle school is on fire for God too.

What has happen here in Hamilton is an amazing thing but can only occur when you give God everything. I am a living example that when you completely sell out to Jesus, it affects everyone around you. I want to challenge the youth of this state to get crazy for Jesus and completely sell out to Christ! That means put Him over all material things and all the things this world offers you. This world will pass away but the Word won’t. I am a prisoner of Christ! What are you a prisoner of?

Tanner Gann

No comments: